Friday, November 12, 2010

journey to the new world

“So I did the right thing and I waited til the presentations were finished and everyone was having their tea party with their scones and whatnot and I said, ‘Excuse me, I don’t want to be rude or anythin’, but I think you’ll find that traditionally it is wattle. I want the one in the corner, thanks.”
On the eve of his 10 year anniversary as an Australian citizen, Andy reflects on a disappointing welcome ceremony in which he was gifted with Mondo grass instead of wattle

Later…

Cassy: “So did you take it home and plant it in your backyard?”

Andy: “Nah, I gave it to Barbs’ mum.”

Cassy: “Andy! After all that effort I thought you would have planted it at home and sat in its shade eating lamingtons.”

Andy: “Yeah well people move on. Times change, y’know?”

No comments:

Post a Comment